The energy savings offered at Bauhaus demonstrate the potential and flexibility offered when combining Wirefield LED luminaires with lightning control system.
Wirefield worked with HFL Building Solutions to deliver an energy saving solution for their client M J Mapp.
M J Mapp’s philosophy is to provide constant innovation to their clients and with the assistance of HFL, identified Bauhaus as the ideal site for energy saving. Underneath the offices and residential accommodation is a car park with very low occupancy but over 100 T5 fittings with no lighting control.
Challenges and Actions
Wirefield Ltd. attended site and proposed to upgrade all fittings to LED. This would provide an initial saving of around 50%.
However, having surveyed the site and discussed options with the client, Wirefield proposed their unique Eye-Wi lighting control system to maximise energy savings.
The Eye-Wi control brought a number of benefits:
- Luminaire outputs can be turned down. Upon changing to LED the car park was lit to over 500 lux – CIBSE guidelines call for less than a quarter of this.
- Luminaires could be installed on a one for one basis with no additional control wiring between fittings – allowing a quick installation with no client disruption.
- Linking the fittings together means that clients are always walking into a lit area whilst wireless control meant we could link across circuits to suit the car park layout rather than the circuit layout.
- Emergency fittings are self-test and report any faults back to a tablet computer – reducing engineer time on site.
Lessons & Results
After commissioning meter reading were taken which indicate an energy saving of over 90%.
This was achieved by:
- Setting maximum luminaire outputs to 50% or 17w.
- Fittings dim to 10% and then go off after 5 minutes.
- Access areas outside doors and ramps are kept at 5% to ensure a lit environment.
- Fittings were linked in groups of 6-8 fittings, maximising savings by only illuminating areas of use.
Speak to Wirefield to see how we could save you energy on your next project!