Lloyds is leading change to deliver strategic targets
The Lloyds Banking Group has a long standing and ongoing commitment to manage and reduce the environmental impact of its business and has invested significantly in doing so and has set the strategic target to reduce its environmental footprint by 20% by 2020. In the first 12 months of the new relationship, Paul was instrumental in leading change that helps the Group deliver its strategic target to reduce its environmental footprint by 20% by 2020 by implementing best practice solutions and further setting the Group on a path for future sustainability success.
Challenges & Actions
In late 2012 Lloyds Banking Group partnered with Mitie for all of its facilities management services, including the end to end energy and environmental services, and guaranteed energy savings. Following some initial challenges, in February 2014, Paul started in his role and made immediate changes to the structure of the Mitie delivery team, overall governance and ramped up the stakeholder management and communications of the energy and environmental programme.
Achieving Rapid Environmental Impact. A selection of activities Paul led with his team - resulting in improved service delivery and delivering a positive impact - include:
- Restructuring and pulling the environmental team under his remit and creating a leadership team focused on delivering and building for the future
- Engaging senior stakeholders in Lloyds Banking Group and Mitie, building a transparent plan to improve performance and overachieve
- Working with the Mitie energy teams to focus on quick wins
- Leading the successful conclusion of a 10 year renewable energy Power Purchase Agreement for 20% of Lloyds Banking Group's power demand
- Constant delivery and success has been achieved through tight governance and stakeholder engagement and a vision to set Lloyds Banking Group on path for future positive impacts
Lessons & Results
Creating a Lasting Legacy - Paul's first 12 months also focused on building the platform for future performance. Initially establishing the strong governance and team structure, he then took this further by securing support and funding to grow the team enabling Mitie to take more responsibility on from Lloyds Banking Group. This included strategic leadership and delivery of its 2020 Energy & Environment targets. His second year will be focused on working with stakeholders on the wholesale review of Lloyds Banking Group’s Energy & Environment longer term objectives and ambitions.
The team is set up to succeed and deliver significant positive environmental impacts.
Advice for Creating Positive Impact. Trust and transparency are vital in delivering successful change and helping achieve a positive impact. Building trust requires the ability to communicate with stakeholders in their language, considering their responsibilities, drivers and needs, followed by demonstrating real delivery and benefits.
Paul Eggleton is one of the 2015's Acre365 award winners.