Higgins Group reduced carbon emissions per employee by 28.4%
For over 50 years, Higgins Group PLC has built a reputation as one of the most forward thinking construction companies in the UK.
Higgins is not just a construction company. It is a business that is committed to building better, stronger, safer and more sustainable communities.
Their pledge is to innovate and set new benchmarks in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). Their industry-leading CSR strategy outlines responsible behaviour at every stage of project delivery – understanding both the short-term and long-lasting effects of construction. They aim to create sustainable buildings and communities and ensure that they responsibly manage and reduce health and safety risks, impact on the environment and potential disruption to local communities.
Challenges & Actions
Being committed to always working in a considerate and sustainable way requires all areas of the carbon footprint and working practice to be monitored. As part of The Planet Mark certification Higgins aims to reduce their carbon footprint by 5% each year.
- The number of IT servers have been reduced, this has led to a reduction in electricity being used and less cooling is required from the air conditioning units.
- Adjustment of boilers and chiller/ac time schedules has reduced energy usage, which is now limited to one unit in operation at a time.
- Year round adjustments of lighting and heating controls to reduce energy use.
- Light bulbs have been replaced with LEDs in the lobby areas. Higgins are planning to install further LED lighting.
- Water leak discovered and repaired.
- Low CO2 fleet vehicles have been introduced alongside the use of hybrid vehicles.
- Staff are encouraged to cycle or walk when possible.
- Higgins offer their staff a cycling to work scheme and bike racks and showers are provided.
- Car sharing and the use of public transport are encouraged.
- To reduce fuel consumption and time, consideration is given to where staff live and their allocated site location.
- A water recycling scheme is bring considered to harvest water for irrigation.
Higgins comply with all the requirements of ISO 14001 accreditation and the Considerate Construction Scheme membership.
Lessons & Results
As a result of their actions to improve sustainability Higgins has achieved The Planet Mark certification for 2014. This is their fourth year of certification.
- Carbon footprint : 718.1 tCO2e
- 28.4% reduction in total carbon footprint since 2013
- Carbon footprint per employee : 3.99 tCO2e
Through our engagement with Planet First we have been able to raise awareness of our environmental impact throughout the business, backed up by measurement and an action plan that has delivered real cost savings whilst supporting our sustainability agenda." Paul Cooke FCIOB CEnv Director responsible for Sustainability.